Fed up of brittle and lifeless hair?
Want to add shine and gloss to your dry damaged hair?
Beautiful hair can be your crowning glory. You spend a fortune on shampoos, conditioners, hair masks, serums which claim to make hair strong and beautiful. But none of them meet the expectations. As Baba Ramdev ( Indian Yoga Guru) quoted in one of his videos " Shampoo bhi beh jata hai aur baal bhi" ( Shampoo goes down the drain as well as your hair).
But one thing which has been working for ages is Ayurvedic Nuskhas(remedies).People are restoring to Ayurveda. Every day you witness new ayurvedic products springing up in Indian as well as International markets. The companies are cashing up on Ayurveda popularity.
There are number of factors which affect the health of the hair. Nutritional deficiencies, lack of proper hygiene,diet, age, pollution, stress, climate, lifestyle habits to name a few. Here are some ayurvedic tips to keep your hair looking great and healthy.
AYURVEDIC TIPS FOR HEALTHY HAIR
• Hot Oil Massage. There is nothing which can beat the benefit of oiling hair on a regular basis. Oiling hair increases the blood flow to the hair roots and supports hair growth. It also helps in restoring the lost shine as well as relaxes the mind and body.You can use coconut oil, sesame oil, olive oil or mustard oil. You can also use a combination of various oils. Boost the benefit by adding hair friendly herbs like amala , bhringraj or brahmi powder.
• Scalp hygiene is important to support healthy hair. So make sure you cleanse your scalp as well as hair thoroughly. Take extra caution during summers as it is more prone to dirt and sweat.
• Diet and lifestyle habits are two major factors which affect the health of your hair. Eat fruits, green leafy vegetables and drink plenty of water. Sleep well at least for 6 to 8 hours daily.
• Stress can cause hair fall. Overthinking, taking too much tension, anger can stress your mind and deplete your energy levels. Going out in nature and taking a walk, dancing to the tunes of your favourite dance number, or socializing can help your mind to distress.Find out which activities relaxes your mind and go for it.
• Avoid using heating appliance on scalp/hair. Say no to dryers, straightening rods, curlers. After washing gently blot your hair with the towel and let it air dry. Avoid rubbing hair with the towel as wet hair stretches and is more vulnerable and susceptible to breakage.
• Use mild shampoo and conditioners. Application of harsh shampoos with ingredients like SLS( sodium laurel sulphate) causes dryness by removing vital natural oils from hair.
DIY HAIR MASKS:
Apart from using a good shampoo and conditioner, it is extremely important to nourish your scalp/hair with home made masks. Witness the magic happening with ingredients easily available in your kitchen. The following hair masks are convenient, reasonable and easy to make.
1. 1/4 cupYogurt + 1/8 cup Coconut Oil + 1 tablespoon Honey + 2 capsules Vit E Oil . Adjust the quantities as per the length of your hair.This wonderful hair mask makes your hair soft shiny and lustrous. Yogurt helps in combating dandruff problems. Honey moisturises the hair. Coconut oil and Vit E oil nourish, condition and promotes hair growth. Consistent use of this mask promotes healthy scalp and hair roots. You can use this mask once a week. Apply the mask on the scalp as well as hair. Leave it on for 1 hour. Wash thoroughly with lukewarm water. Followed by a gentle shampooing and conditioning.
2. 1/4 cup methi powder + 1/4 cup Curry patta/leaves (washed and dry) + 1 cup yogurt . Again adjust the quantities as per the length of your hair. Make a smooth paste by putting the ingredients in the grinder. Apply the mask on the scalp and hair. Gently massage the scalp for a minute. Leave the mask for 30 minutes and wash it off with a shampoo. You can use this mask once a week. Methi is an excellent herb which does wonders for hair growth. Curry leaves strengthen the hair follicles and prevent hair loss.Yogurt conditions the hair and treats dandruff.
3. 1/4 cup Amla Powder also known as Indian Gooseberry + 1 cup Coconut Milk. Both ingredients are known to solve many hair issues. Amla is considered a hair tonic enriching hair growth and preventing graying of hair. Coconut milk deeply moisturizes and conditions the hair.Make a smooth paste and apply it on scalp/hair. Cover with a shower cap. Leave it for an hour. Follow with gentle natural shampoo. You can use this mask once in two weeks. If you are havingexcessive dull hair and suffering from excess hair fall this mask can also be used once a week.
Follow these tips religously and see the magic happening. You will never have to spend money on expensive hair spas or hair care products. Soon you will be bagging compliments for your beautiful hair.
About the author: When I was in India, I was a Financial Service Consultant with the MBA degree, screwed up in a 9-5 full time monotonus job. I got married and moved to USA in 2009. Most of us dream of that.But truly speaking the day I landed at LAX Airport I was not excited. I was only missing my family,relatives, friends. The flow of emotions were so intense that initially I used to feel, when will I go back..back to my country my people. I used to nag..nag a lot. Days passed and I realised thatthere is no way out and I have to stay here at least till my husband’s project will continue.That wasthe peak time for me to decide whether to waste this time in nagging or should I make itworthwhile. When you are alone you get so much time to dip your hands in stuff you neverthought of, to understand that your life has a purpose. I got fascinated towards DIYs, healthyliving, crafting, writting and beauty which inspired me to pursue the esthetics course in and Ibecame a licensed Esthetician. I never thought of doing all this when I used to sit in a small bank cubicle. Few of my articles got published in the Indian magazine Woman's Era which boosted myconfindence and I stared blogging. Now every morning I wake up with a purpose,to learn, toshare. I want to learn and grow with each passing day and thats the aim of my life. Simple. Right!
About the column: Through this column I would like to share whatever I learn in the process of making my life better ( DIY beauty products, healthy tips, crafting, and much more). So stay tuned!