If you love cauliflower, this curry is for you. If you love carrot, this curry is for you. Cauliflower and carrot combo lovers like me will love this subji. Haters will still find it interesting, so it is a must-try recipe for everyone.
Cauliflower has milky, little sweet and nutty flavor. Carrot is sweet in taste and very popular root vegetable. If cauliflower is overcooked, it becomes waterlogged and/or mushy and will most certainly lose most of its flavor. I ualually bake cauliflower to avoid that problem. It also helps to control oil, salt, and crunch of the cauliflower that way. One of the best chacteristic of carrot is they never lose their shape when boiled, cooked on pan, or baked. Baking brings out the sweetness of the carrot nicely.
I marinated cauliflower and carrot with potato, yogurt and some spices. The blend of the spices and yogurt helps make semi-thick gravy, which is perfect with chapati, naan, or with rice. I used a little sugar in marinate to give it a thin-crunchy layer. I want to strees here that don't worry about sweetness from sugar as it doesn't get added to the taste of the subji.
One more thing to keep in mind is to bake this in cookie sheet. It'll help keep vegies separated from each other and cooked evenly. In deep baking dish, it will be mushy and take more time to cook.
- 1 Cauliflower, Cut into Bite size Florets/pieces
- 3 Carrot, Cut into Bite size pieces
- 1 Potato, Cut into Bite size pieces
- 1-1/4 cup Thick Yogurt
- 1 tsp Ginger Paste
- 1 tsp Garlic Paste
- 1 tsp Red Chili Powder
- 1/2 tsp Green Chili Paste
- 1 tsp Rajwadi Garam Masala
- 1 tsp Cumin Powder
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida
- 1 tsp Kasoori Methi
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- Salt to taste
- Cilantro, chopped
- Cooking Spray
1. Wash cauliflower, carrot, and potato. Let them dry completely.
2. Pour thick yogurt into large bowl, and wisk lightly.
3. Add ginger, garlic, red chili, green chili, garam masala, cumin powder, turmeric, asafoetida, kasoori methi, sugar, olive oil, and salt.
4. Add veggies, mix very well, cover bowl with lid, and leave for 30 minutes on kitchen counter. Preheat oven for 400 degree.
5. Cover baking tray with aluminium foil, and grease with cooking spray.
6. Transfer marinated vegetables into the tray.
7. Bake it for 20-25 minutes. Then take it out in serving bowl.
8. Sprinkle fresh cilantro, red chili powder, and serve hot.