Crostata is an Italian pie/tart which is very flaky and light. It can be sweet or savory. Traditional Sweet crostata filled with fresh fruits along with ricotta cheese (Crostata di ricotta) or with pastry cream.
This post is about savory crostata. Making dough for this pie is very simple, but this was for unexpected guest so I used store bought pie crust. For filling, sky is a limit. Stuff this pie with your favorite sauces, vegetables, meats etc. I had few bell pepers in my fridge, so I just used them with few ingredients that can be easily found in pantry.
- 1 Refrigerated (Roll-out) Pie Crust
- 1 cup Red and Yellow Bell Peppers, chopped
- 4-5 tbsp Marinara Sauce
- 3 tbsp Cream Cheese
- 1/2 tsp Cayene Pepper
- Pinch Of Cumin Powder
- Pinch Of Oregano
- Pinch of Lemon Zest
- Olive Oil
- Salt and Black Pepper to taste
1. Thawed pie crust and preheat oven on 400 degrees.
2. In bowl, mix bellpeppers with cumin powder, little salt, and cayyen pepper.
3. Roll out pie crust on greased baking tray or on parchment paper.
4. Now spread 2 tbsp of cream cheese. Spread some marinara sauce on top of cheese.
5. Add bell pepper mixer on cheese-spread pie crust, leaving a one-inch border all around.
6. Fold the crust border over the filling. Keep aside.
7. In small bowl, mix remainder cream cheese with, lemon zest, and black pepper.
8. Top Crostata with cream cheese mixer and drizzle some olive oil on top of pie.
9. Bake the Crostata until the crust is golden, 25-30 minutes. Allow to cool little bit, serve warm.