Mughlai cuisine is famous for the combination of ground masalas and unique texture of food. This cuisine is home to rich dishes like, hundred kinds of Pulavs, Kormas, tonnes of Paneer dishes, variety of Naans, and add all tasty meats like chicken, mutton, lamb, fish etc., you get one great collection. The gravy is heavy most of the time because use of dry fruits, ghee, butter and heavy cream. These ingredients give them a silky smooth texture. This is very common and popular subji, Paneer Pasanda. I tweked a little to make it healthy. I used evaporated milk instead of heavy cream and use rajma beans for valvery texture. One would really enjoy this with naan and/or with steaming-hot jeera rice.
- 1-1/2 Cup Paneer, cubed
- 1 Big Red Onion, finely chopped
- 2 Tomatoes, finely chopped
- 3 Garlic Cloves, chopped
- 1/2 tsp Ginger, grated
- 2 tbsp Cashew soak for 2-3 hours and make paste
- 1 tbsp Melon Seeds, soak for 2-3 hours and make paste
- 1-1/2 tsp Red Chili Powder
- 1 tsp Garam Masala
- 1 tbsp Dhania-Jeera Powder
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric
- 1 Cinnamon Stick
- 2 Dry Whole Red Chili
- 3 Green Cardamoms
- 3 Whole Cloves
- 2-3 bay Leaves
- 1 tsp Fennel Seeds
- 2 tbsp Ghee
- 3 tbsp Oil
- 1/4 cup Evaporated Milk
- 1/2 cup Rajma, canned and drained
- 1/2 tsp Kasuri Methi
- Cilantro, chopped
- Salt to taste
Method:- 1. Heat oil and ghee in deep vessel. Add cinnamon stick, whole red chili, cloves, cardamom, and bay leaves.
2. Roast them for 1-2 minutes and put on paper towel, leaving ghee and oil for cooking.
3. Add onion and garlic. Cook for 2-3 minutes. Add ginger, tomato, cashew paste, melon seeds paste, salt, fennel seeds, dhania-jeera powder, red chili powder, turmeric, and 3-4 tbsp water.
4. Mix well. Cover with lid and cook on medium-low heat for 5 minutes or until onions are tender.
5. Add rajma to the gravy and let it heat for 2 more minutes.Now turn down the flame and let it cool for 3-4 minutes.
6. In the mean time heat little oil in wok and cook paneer cubes until golden brown. Set them aside on paper towel.
7. Blend the gravy until smooth.
8. Add some water for gravy consistency.
9. Put gravy on low heat. Add dry masalas and paneer. Cook for 5-6 more minutes.
10. Add evaporated milk and kasuri methi. Mix well. Heat for 2-3 minutes.
11. Garnish with chopped cilantro. Serve hot. Enjoy...